Monday, June 9, 2008

Where I Wish I Was

Last summer we took a trip to Alaska. It was awesome! We went there so Cameron could play baseball. I got to go along for the ride. Cameron and I were the chaperons of the team, so we stayed with the boys. It was no big deal since we hung out with most of them. Robert Matthews was our tour guide, and he got us our cabins. He used to live in Girdwood, where we stayed about 20 min from Anchorage where we played. Here is our bi-cabin complex and the bunk house.



We actually had a black bear on our porch one morning. Bailey saw it first and screamed. That scared it away, but it left a big mess.


A lot of the team didn't want to do anything, really, so Robert took Cameron, Rob, Eddie, Rass, Big Edd, one of Robert's friends, and me fishing in a secret local spot. We had to run down some railroad tracks and hide from a train to get there. We had a lot of fun. Rass caught the biggest fish. Robert caught the other one. Rob caught an anchor and a diaper, picture not taken because it was grose! Cam and Eddie didn't catch anything, successfully. I didn't fish because I was on wolf, yep wolf, patrol. Robert's brother saw one there the day before we went fishing. I was on patrol because I am a good shot with a gun, I guess. I don't think so, but I did beat Nate in a shooting contest. I really think they just didn't want to share the fishing poles. Another day we all, all the team and coach and his family and Robert and Big Edd and some of Robert's brothers, went fishing on the Russian River. I got rocked by a huge salmon, literally it kept me on a rock and would try and attack me if I moved. We had to cut our fishing short because two grizzly cubs crashed our party. I have a picture of one of them, but it isn't very good because I was really far away.








We went to church in Girdwood at the LDS/Lutheran chapel. It was beautiful. They were such a small ward. They were excited to actually have a lot of boys to help pass the sacrament. I had a hard time paying attention to the lesson because the view was so beautiful.
We all went on a tram ride at the Alyeska resort, the ski resort just above Girdwood. It was so funny to watch Cameron on the ride up and down, he is so scared of heights. The view was amasing. A lot of the boys hiked up to the glacier, we didn't it was too far up for our liking. You can jump off were I am standing and paraglide down, Cameron wouldn't let me but it would have been cool.



We had to drive into Anchorage everyday to play ball. We drove 20 min along the Old Seaward Highway, one of the most dangerous in the US it turns out. It was right along the coast. It was beautiful so I didn't mind the drive at all.
The real reason we were there was to play baseball and play we did. We ended up winning the North West Regional title. It was really cool and a great experience..

3 comments:

Knutti Corner said...

Taryn and Cam,
I love the pictures of Alaska. You'll have to take Dad and I there some day. It really looks beautiful. You'll have to help me make a wish I were site. Of course you know where that would be. Thanks again for all of your help in the house and the yard both of you. We sure love to have you home. It really livens up the place. See you soon and I love the new addition to your blog. Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey that sounds like a real adventure!!! Lots of fun! I was engaged in 2006 but it didnt work out. So I am just living the big city life single. Working alot so its probably best. Travelling alot. So anything new and exciting? Take care and keep in touch.

Hubers said...

Wow- it looks like you guys had a dang fun time in Alaska.. Gorgeous pictures!! I loved looking at them all! Way to go! :D