Monday, February 16, 2009

Special Olympics 2009

Thursday I had the great experience to go to Boise and volunteer at the Special Olympics. The entire dental hygiene department at ISU went as a part of Special Smiles. I had a great time with my friends. We got a hotel, shopped, and went out to eat. At the Olympics I made mouth guards for the athletes who played sports where they would need a mouth guard. I also did fluoride varnish treatments, and helped sterilize instruments for the screenings. I met many athletes from all over the world. I even got a pin from a guy from Trinidad and Tobago, he was so cute. I even saw Jo Biden's motorcade, I didn't get to see him because they closed the floor so he could have a private tour and set us back about four hours, but I'm not bitter:) It was so cool! We got a shirt and a scarf. The scarfs were home made by people all over the world! I wish we could have gone for more than two days and seen some events, but I had a great time!

Jackie and I eating at Chicago Pizza

Us at the Boise State SUB waiting for to get to our floor

Funny pictures at the Boise State shop

More funny hats

Joe Biden's motorcade

Making goody bags

At the nutrition table

Jackie making a mouth guard

Me and the guy from Trinidad and Tobago

Us at the fluoride varnish table

4 comments:

Hubers said...

I love love love special needs people! They are the greatest people. that's so awesome that you were able to go there and help with everyone all over the world! That's so fun!

Knutti Corner said...

Taryn, it looks like you had so much fun. Isn't it just so neat that you can serve and have such a good time doing it. There are so many wonderful people in the world and these special people are just that and more. SPECIAL thanks I love you Mom

Kami said...

Looks like a cool experience! Glad you had fun!

Dannyel Crane said...

Sounds like you had a great time. What an awesome opportunity!