Sunday, May 25, 2008

Grandpa Sizemore




In my opinion there has never been such a man as my great grandpa. He was my best friend, my doctor, and my babysitter. My mom worked, so I got to go to my great grandparents house during the day. My grandma Beth died when I was four, so it was just grandpa and me. We had the most unique adventures. We had a pet squirrel in the closet, an archaeological dig out by the barn, pets, slay rides, and exhibitions to the market for treats. Every morning we would go to the Paris Cafe for toast and chocolate (hot chocolate), then we would have a long day of mending shoes and making boots, broken up with a treat run. Then it would be time to go home, just before mom would pick me up. If mom was gone nights, we would make dinner, usually my favorite, his famous brown noodles, talk to our friends on his old radio, and watch a movie, usually the Land Before Time or Dances With Wolfs. As grandpa got older he became the head of Veterans Administrations for the Bear Lake Valley. We then would dedicate our time to helping the war veterans of the valley. We would place flags on graves to indicate the graves of the veterans. He was a very very busy man. In his free time he liked to work at the Paris Museum, which he made happen, and coordinate the 4th of July Program, which he was over for several years. He fought in World War II as a radio operator in the 776th tank destroyer division. Even though it was very hard for him, he would tell anyone who would listen about his war experience. He was an extraordinary person, and I feel extremely lucky to have been able to be part of the life of such a loving and selfless man.

2 comments:

Cameron and Taryn said...

WOW. Just reading this is unbelievable. I love you so much Taryn. I remember one of the last times i talked with Grandpa Sizemore. He truely was amazing. I am so lucky I got you. Cliff did an amazing job of helping raise you. Your also are amazing

Johnson Family said...

Cliff was my grandpa too! We loved playing over to his house. We always rollerscated on their driveway and grandma Beth would usually bring us out a treat or a drink. He was an awesome guy. I think of him often. Clif has a special place in my heart and is part of a cherished memory of my childhood.